The result was so delicious, exactly what I had hoped for! It was a definite hit and even Adam (the picky eater) was delighted and went back for seconds. This is the perfect weeknight meal as they are healthy + delicious and you can whip them up in a snap. Hope you love them as much as we did!
1 c. dry, uncooked quinoa
1 package of lean ground chicken
6 bell peppers, tops removed & seeds cleaned out
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 jalapeno, diced (I like my mexican food spicy, but if you don't you can leave this out!)
1 roma tomato, chopped
1/2 can black beans, drained
2 tbsp mexican fiesta spice (I get this at whole foods in the spice aisle, its a salt free substitution to fajita mix)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 avocado pitted, and sliced.
Fresh salsa (I use the variety found in the produce section of whole foods)
Any type of cheese you would like to top peppers with (cheddar, pepper jack, etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray cooking spray in a baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare quinoa according to manufacturer's directions.
- Meanwhile, warm olive oil in a skillet and add ground chicken.
- Add in mexican spice, cumin, onion powder and salt.
- When chicken is fully cooked, drain any excess fat and return to heat.
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeno, green pepper and cook until soft.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa and chicken mixture; add in 1/2 can black beans, tomato, 3tbsp fresh salsa, and about 1/2 cup fresh cut cilantro.
- Scoop mixture into hollowed out peppers and bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, until peppers are slightly soft.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle lightly with cheese and return to oven to bake until cheese is melted.
- Top with more fresh cilantro, and serve with avocado slices and salsa. ¡Olé!
|I like this quinoa because you don't have to rinse it.|
|I love when he hangs out in the kitchen with me!|
|I know my pictures show 4 peppers, but there was so much leftover I added 2 more at the last minute!|
|I used a vegan rice cheese which didn't melt so well, but still soooo yummy!|
I love your feedback & comments!